The Place To Be, Is In The Know - Diane Sugden
Uncategorized October 5, 2016

The Place To Be, Is In The Know


When is a Permit needed? For most construction activities on Bainbridge Island, a permit is required!


638ffe64df03723e33ed6bda9d27636fBuilding Permit:

A building permit is required BEFORE any construction work or activity involving sheet-rock, framing, insulation or other types of remodel or new construction.


demolitionDemolition Permit:  

A demolition Permit is required before demolition of any building. A site plan and fee are required at the time of submission.


home-ZWybWB-clipartPlumbing or Mechanical Permit:

Relocation or replacement of plumbing fixtures. This applies to situations where you replace an existing piece of equipment with a similar unit. i.e. toilet


Lighthouse on Rocky Shore Clipart

Shoreline Development

All development within 200′ of Ordinary High Water requires the submittal of a Shoreline Substantial Development Exemption prior to the submission of a building permit



  • You can construct a fence if it is less than 7′ high.
  • Complete finish work such as paint, replace flooring, counter tops or install cabinets.
  • Install portable appliances or build a retaining wall <4′ in height.

Also, the following Residential projects can be completed without the issuance of a permit:

  • Construction of a deck not exceeding 200 sq ft in area, that are not more than 30″ above grade at any point, not attached to a dwelling and do not serve an exit door.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54″ from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  • Swings or other playground equipment.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24″ deep
  • Sidewalks and driveways.
  • One story detached accessory structure used as a play house, storage shed or similar use provided the floor area doesn’t exceed 200 square feet.

Commercial Projects that do not require permits:

  • Installation of Temporary Television, motion picture theatre sets and scenery.
  • Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30″ above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below and not part of an accessible route of travel.
  • One story detached accessory structure used as a play house, tool or storage shed or similar use provided the floor area doesn’t exceed 120 square feet.
  • Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5’9” in height.
In addition to the above referenced permit information, all electrical work must be permitted and inspected by Washington State Department of Labor and Industries. (L&I)